We’ve just got back from an overseas trip to go to a regatta. Great fun and lots of new experiences.
We met a club with the same name as ours!
What do we wish we’d known before going?
10 things you need to know
- Book accommodation well ahead of time. Choose cancelable rooms (pay extra)
- Avoid letting people join the group late – it disrupts
- Use an app like SplitWise to manage group finances and refund big payments
- You will need more than one vehicle for getting to/from the regatta course
- Everyone needs to know how to set up a boat (especially if you’re borrowing or renting)
- You need more warm up than you think when racing early in the morning
- Scratch crews are a waste of time (unless you just want to have fun)
- Plan a roster to cook evening meals and clean up afterwards
- Practice intense side-by-side racing in the build-up
- Do fewer races than you think you want to…. it’s easy to be greedy but hurts your performance