Getting a group of rowers into one boat is simple – making their individual techniques blend into a crew combination that can row in time is a longer process. Our podcast discusses 3 core drills to combine into a crew.
01:00 This Past Week – what you can learn from elite athletes. Intention and attention.
08:00 Crew lineups – combination that can cooperate
Good rhythm and flow and energy.
Does it “click?”
Is the recovery matched up?
15:00 What should I adjust?
- Blending into a crew starts with following the stroke. Can you improve your precision?
- Start from the finish position – align this.
Arrive at the finish blade extraction together.
Check blade angles are parallel in a static position check.
- Come out of the water together
- Focus on getting to the recovery perpendicular blades together.
19:00 Use peripheral vision to see the finish of your oars
20:00 Drills for crew alignment.
- Pause drills use arms and body away. Get tot he same position before the knees rise.
- Double Pause drill – count “One one thousand, two one thousand, row”
- Pause at the finish with blades on the water if the balance is poor