A video interview lasting 27 minutes between Will Ruth, Strength Trainer and author of Rowing Stronger with Marlene Royle.
The topics covered include:
The difference in 1k racing compared to 2k with regard to aerobic and anaerobic training.
Will Ruth unpacks the strength training challenges facing masters athletes
“There’s a huge competitive advantage to the masters rower who goes beyond and does strength training for both the rowing muscles and the non-rowing muscles.”
- Getting a good movement assessment e.g. hip hinge.
- The YWT raise for scapular muscles.
- Can you be too strong – how much strength is productive to be a rower while still maintaining aerobic fitness?
- If I do rowing and strength training in the same day. Which should I do first? Will explains about fatigue carry-over.
- The RPE scale – rate of perceived exertion. How different is this for strength training compared to water rowing?
- The ideal day to do weights after a hard rowing training day