I am 51 and have never rowed. I would love to take lessons. How can I get started?Mary
Learn to row
Two ways to get started with rowing and sculling.
- Join a gym and take classes on the rowing machine. This will get you fit but unlikely to help you in a boat (!)
- Find a local rowing club and take a learn to row class
Which country do you live in?
Most rowing federations organise the sport for their country so do an online search for [country name or city name] learn to row.
- British Rowing learn to row
- Rowing Canada Aviron learn to row
- Rowing Australia learn to row is done by state – search locally
- Rowing New Zealand learn to row
- Rowing Ireland learn to row
Hopefully you will find someone near where you live.
It is much better to learn with an experienced coach than try to do online courses for learning to row
But do stay in touch and tell us how you get on.
How Faster Masters can help you learn to row better
We are an online rowing education business. We can help you AFTER you have done a learn to row course. For practical reasons, this is best done face to face with a rowing coach who is experienced coaching masters. It is never good to try to teach yourself rowing.
3 ways we can help you
- Weekly podcast with rowing tips and advice
- Newsletter with rowing articles
- Download our app (Faster Masters Rowing) and join a discussion with other masters rowers