Marlene Royle and Rebecca Caroe discuss how to fit training into a busy schedule; Steering coxless boats and 1k race plans.
How to fit working out into your work day
Inspired by Concept2 article https://www.concept2.com/news/how-to-fit-working-out-your-workday?
- Just move- walking, taking the stairs, standing meetings, meetings on the bikeErg
- Schedule it- Put a class or your sacred workout time on your calendar
- Replace coffee with meters- Catch up with friends in the gym instead of the coffee break room
- Find a Community- Cross fit or a sculling group can give you a great group of people to workout with
- Get outdoors-Go for a run or bike during lunch time
- Motivate- Mid-day or lunch time workouts can refresh you mid-way through the workday or help relieve a little stress
- Pack a lunch- Save that time for working out
- Shower later- Workout in the gym just before you go home and end your workday on a high note
- Be efficient- Rowing or skiing use all major muscles groups get it all in!
- If travelling for work- WALK the airport, Carry your bags don’t roll them, Do squats or glute crunches while waiting
Steering how to set up your boat
- Get the shoe straight
- Check equal movement both ways
- Check the wire isn’t too tight or too loose
- Set your right shoe heel on the knob between the shoes on the footstretcher
- Agree your calls – for gentle and hard steering
Train side by side for steering practice
- Race pieces
- Games like “Indian sprints” for steering and passing
1k race plans
- By quarters
- By focus of 2-3 technical points to row well when the going gets tough
- By meters
- Be ready to be flexible during the race
Buy the Faster Masters 1k Race training program comprising 3 months of daily workouts leading to a 1k race.
Thank you to our sponsors. You can help keep RowingChat FREE by visiting our sponsors websites www.rowing.chat/sponsors
This month RowingChat is supported by
Just Strong Athletic Clothing for strong women. Get a 10% discount using coupon REBCAROE10 www.juststrong.com
Annie Vernon’s new book is Mind Games – win a copy by telling us “What gives you the impetus to win?” write a comment here https://rowing.chat/sponsor/mind-games-book/