You are a Masters Rower and you train every week and want to race in Masters 1,000-metre regattas, this is a training programme written just for you. Spanning 3 months leading up to a 1k regatta, expert coach Marlene Royle runs through the specifics that you need to train effectively and race successfully.
The plan is adjustable whether you train 6 times a week or 4 times a week. You can adapt it to suit your unique situation.
Within the book you will find:
- Phase 1 Training – Builds the Foundation: Low-stress training, good routine, gradual increases. Focus on improving technical weaknesses.
- Phase 2 Training – Early Quality: Prepare for the type of training that will be of most importance in the following phases, introduce accelerations/reps/plenty of recovery time/improve mechanics.
- Phase 3 Training – Transition Quality: Most stressful phase that is event specific and it sets you up for the final quality phase that is less stressful. Stress the proper systems for the event distance. Stay with proper training paces and do not overdo it here. Avoid injury and illness. Get all tough sessions in but be flexible.
- Phase 4 Training – Final Quality: Prepare for actual race conditions. Focus on strengths. Concentrate on what you do best in the final phase of training. Be fresh, not fatigued.
- Phase 5 – Taper to racing and race week training programme.
Approach each full workout as the “goal.” If there is any workout that you cannot complete or have to build up to the full session, it is best to follow the proper intensity but scale back the amount of work
- Simple pre-race warm-up
- Full race warmup