Motivation is tough in winter, especially if we can only train on the indoor rowing machine.
Support this show with a donation https://fastermastersrowing.com/podcast
01:00 This Past Week – what we do to advocate for masters rowing.
Marlene’s article in Rowing News Magazine e-news – Self improvement 101
05:45 Masters Rowing Survey This will take 10 minutes max. It’s a global survey on the state of masters rowing and is multiple choice, mostly.
Make winter ergs fun
Make your erg work up into a series of mini challenges
- Variety – build your erg work into a circuit.
- Aerobic medley with 10 minutes on each gym machine.
- Do core exercises in between erg pieces
- Set up some good music playlists
- Target your countdown to a bribe which you’ll enjoy
- Shower room count the clothes hooks around the room
- Have an accountability partner.
16:00 Erg exercises you won’t have tried before
Alternate exercises on the erg
- Face Pulls – high rowing up to your eyes with the handle – draw your scapulas together.
- Pallof Press – sit sideways on the seat and hold the handle in both hands, rotate side to side. Good for sweep rowers.
- Erg Posture Drill – in the Faster Masters Land Training Module reference material.
- Rowing Up Hill – put a crate or aerobics step under the front leg and use this to control your slide
Stay on track during the holidays
20:00 Staying on track during the holidays. Plan to train.
Keep the intensity up 2-3 times per week. Shorter workouts
Go to the party but plan to train the next day. Don’t worry about going off track. Have fun.
Be measured if you choose