fbpx

Welcome introductions

• rebeccacaroe

Organizer
    September 29, 2022 at 3:58 am

Hello everyone I’m in Auckland New Zealand

• Gary

September 29, 2022 at 6:07 pm

Hi, I’m Gary Baranzini, and I row on the San Joaquin River in Stockton, CA. The pandemic had thrown a wrench into my rowing progression after I bought my new Single. I seem to have lost my confidence being in my Single but, fortunately, I’m thriving in a Double and Quad. I want to get that confidence back in my Single.

• Glenda

September 29, 2022 at 1:45 pm

Hello, from Glenda Howard, I row on the Cape Fear River in Wilmington NC.

• Glenda

September 29, 2022 at 1:50 pm

The edited didn’t let me add that I am easing into single racing. So far my greatest success is showing up. Maybe one day I will get to hang something shiny on my neck.

• rebeccacaroe

Organizer
        September 29, 2022 at 2:20 pm

Welcome Glenda. Love your long term goal! Shiny

• Trish

September 29, 2022 at 4:56 pm

Hello! I am Trish Erlinger and I row on Ladybird Lake at Texas Rowing Center in Austin Texas. I stared rowing in 2013 and finally bought a single at the end of 2020.

• rebeccacaroe

Organizer
      October 6, 2022 at 12:54 am

Do Charles and Molly Barksdale still row there?

• Marlene

September 29, 2022 at 9:20 pm

Hello and welcome to the sculling intensive and the pursuit of getting better. I row on Brôme Lake in the eastern townships of Quebec, just north of Vermont ‘a Jay Peak. I coach a lot from my single but after years of sculling I still work on basics! Marlene

• Margaret

September 29, 2022 at 10:41 pm

Hi everyone. I’m Margie Freivogel, and I row with St. Louis Rowing Club. After sweep rowing for about 20 years, I attended Craftsbury and got very into sculling. Fortunately, this gave me a way to keep rowing when the pandemic shut down team boats for awhile. Now I only scull. In 2020, I even bought a single — maybe a crazy thing to do at my age (now 73.) On the other hand, now or never.

• rebeccacaroe

Organizer
      September 29, 2022 at 11:14 pm

What’s the name of your single Margaret?

• Margaret

September 30, 2022 at 9:23 pm

Thunderbird is the name of my single. In many Native American legends, Thunderbirds control the weather. They also dispense justice.

• David

September 29, 2022 at 10:57 pm

Hi everyone. I’m David Stubbs, and I row in Bermuda. After sweep rowing in college and grad school from 1987-1992, I learned to scull after returning to Bermuda in 2017. On the rare days when we have flat water in our harbour, I use a Fluid. I bought a EuroDiffusions X19 in 2018 and have used that a fair bit. In August I took delivery of a Next C1X, which is perfectly suited for Bermuda’s conditions. I’d love to row it around the island one day (40 miles, give or take).

• Nanda

September 30, 2022 at 12:04 pm

Hi. I am Nanda Hydrisko and I row on the Schuykill in Conshohocken. . I row with Whitemarsh Boat Club. I did learn to row in September 2018 and only scull. Love being in a single. And on the river.

• rebeccacaroe

Organizer
        October 6, 2022 at 12:55 am

Now we know how bendy your river is!

• Lizzie

September 30, 2022 at 4:23 pm

Hi I’m Lizzie and I row on the Clarence river in northern NSW Australia. I recently moved here from Sydney where I rowed in a big squad. Now that I’m in a small town I want to be better at sculling so I can keep my passion alive!

• rebeccacaroe

Organizer
      October 6, 2022 at 12:56 am

Welcome and let me know if you ever visit NZ

• Sue

September 30, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Hi Everyone!

I’m Sue and I row on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester MA (and the Charles River here and there). After finally receiving my single this spring I hardly got to use it as our club had a lot of new rowers needing double and quad support… now finally, I am hoping to regain my confidence before the weather is too cold here! …. And finally get into my single!

• Michelle

September 30, 2022 at 7:42 pm

I’m Michelle and I row with Baltimore Community Rowing in Baltimore MD. Have mostly participated in sweep competitively but dabbled in a single and have owned a Peinert since 2015. I love on a water community so have taken it out infrequently on the river by my home but the pandemic forced me into it on a regular basis. Now I go out regularly in it and am looking to improve my technique. Did a novice single race several years ago. Maybe someday I will feel skilled enough to race with the “big girls” and I’m considering a new boat.

• rebeccacaroe

Organizer
      October 1, 2022 at 9:49 pm

Wow. Interesting how the pandemic has pushed us into new things isn’t it?

• Joyce

October 1, 2022 at 11:23 am

Hi everyone I row in Knowlton, Qc as well as in Lachine, Qc. I’ve had the pleasure to be coached by Marlene for the past 4 yrs. I started rowing in my early 20’s so approx. 30 yrs ago with the McGill university crew. JH

• rebeccacaroe

Organizer
      October 1, 2022 at 9:51 pm

Great to meet another Knowlton athlete

• Joyce

October 3, 2022 at 7:53 am

Super!

• Amy

October 1, 2022 at 12:33 pm

I’m Amy. I actually have the pandemic to thank for starting rowing. The pandemic upset life as I knew it. I retreated to Florida in September of 2020 for what I thought would be a few months until the pandemic subsided. Haha. I knew I needed something to do, so I searched for a small Row boat to buy. I searched Orlando Row boat and found Orlando Rowing Club. Hmmm. I signed up for sculling lessons and never looked back! I haven’t had much coaching. I am comfortable in a single, but I’m sure I have much to learn. I’m looking forward to fine tuning my stroke. If only I could get on the water. Ian had our lake overflowing and there’s lots of debris yet. Patience in all things rowing. I’m happy to be on this journey with all of you.

• rebeccacaroe

Organizer
      October 6, 2022 at 12:58 am

I am always fine tuning my stroke! We can do it together Amy

• Yvanca Clarisse

October 2, 2022 at 1:56 am

Hi all, i’m Yvanca and row in Nelson, New Zealand. Have only just started rowing a single, so there is lots to learn. Have just bought my (first) own single skiff and i love to take her out at Moturoa (Rabbit Island).

• rebeccacaroe

Organizer
      October 6, 2022 at 12:59 am

Hi Yvanca I want to visit Rabbit Island. I hear you have a 2k course there

• Yvanca Clarisse

October 6, 2022 at 2:59 am

Yes, it is a fantastic spot! You’ll like it.

• James

October 5, 2022 at 6:15 pm

Hi,

I’m James Arrowood and row in Richmond, VA with the Virginia Boat Club on the James River which runs through the center of town..

I started sweep rowing around 2000 and several years later jumped in a dbl with a club member not much more experienced than I (what a trip that was!) and have been mostly sculling since. I love the symmetry. Rowing 2x and 4x are especially fun but sometimes you just can’t beat a single.

• rebeccacaroe

Organizer
      October 6, 2022 at 1:00 am

Doubles are a special boat. Some people loathe them!

• peter

October 5, 2022 at 7:51 pm

My name is Peter Clements. I row for Port Adelaide Rowing Club in South Australia. I started rowing about 5 years ago and single sculling 12 months ago. Despite coming from a triathlon background I still fear flipping my single.

• Joanne

October 6, 2022 at 2:32 pm

Hello! I’m Joanne Haarstick. I row on the James River in Richmond, VA and am a member of the Virginia Boat Club.

I started sweep rowing in 2006 and later started sculling. I enjoy sweep and 4x rowing with friends, but since it’s hard to coordinate adult schedules, I love the ease of taking out a single. I hope to improve after practicing all the drills we have been given this week. Thank you Rebecca and Marlene!

• rebeccacaroe

Organizer
      October 20, 2022 at 4:20 am

I’d love a magic wand to coordinate schedules!

Page 1 of 2