fbpx

Welcome introductions

• Mary

October 21, 2022 at 5:17 pm

My name is Mary Benedict, and I live in Gainesville, Florida, US. I row with Gainesville Area Rowing on Newnan’s Lake, (also known as Lake Pithlachocco), where indigenous people of Florida have made boats & paddled for thousands of years.

I am a former college sweep rower who picked up sculling at 50. I purchased a single during COVID and am looking forward to correcting the bad habits I developed rowing on my own.

• rebeccacaroe

Organizer
      October 22, 2022 at 5:02 am

Welcome Mary. Looking forward to seeing you on the zoom

• Rohan

April 23, 2023 at 12:14 am

Hi,

I wasn’t able to join the discussion yesterday because of timing, work, etc.

I’m based in Australia. I got back into rowing five years ago when my son started. I’d previous rowed at school and university level in the days of wooden boats and oars. Most of my rowing in those days, and at masters level, has been in sweep boats from 2- to 8+, but I was my school’s div 1 schoolboy sculler (the only sculling was 1x in those days) in 1982. I’m in my first competitive 1x season since then.

I’ve been relatively successful, having won most of my races (E masters, or entry grade club events), and won the men’s E1x in Australian Capital Territory masters championships. Am due to go to Australian Masters in June, which will be significantly harder, although I’ll be competing as a lightweight. I’d like to drop 5 seconds, or more, to get into the sub-4 minute range. I know my 1x technique isn’t great, so joined this program to see if it gives me some of those seconds.

My rigging numbers are: spread, 160, oars, 287/88, height, 18.

Cheers,

Rohan

• Kylie

April 23, 2023 at 7:31 am

Hi

I row in Bunbury Western Australia very special place we are often joined by dolphins. I have my own, albeit older boat, I have been rowing for a couple of years but I would love to row more efficiently and of coarse faster. I row with a great group of women and we regularly change between singles, doubles quads and eights. I mostly scull but also sweep. I’m loving this course so far

• Kent

April 24, 2023 at 2:34 pm

Hello.

I am Kent Matthews and row on the Taff in Cardiff, South Wales with Llandaff RC. I started rowing in 1995 with Royal Chester when my Dr told me I should change my sport from Squash to Rowing if I wanted my knees to stop hurting. I took it up and never looked back. It’s a great sport and great comradeship.

Page 2 of 2